Monday, 19 March 2012

Interview with Joseph Rubas author of Pocketful of Fear.....

Joseph Rubas may seem like your average young man but don’t let that fool you... He has an amazing talent for writing and creating a frightful horror story with such a unique and fresh voice, that it is hard not to be amazed at what Joseph has achieved. Not only is he a talented Author but Joseph can now add Editor to his credentials. Firefly and Wisp have found themselves a rising star in Joseph and I for one can’t wait to read more from him!


Could you tell us a little about yourself? 
Certainly.  I’m an eccentric hermit who writes horror fiction, guzzles hard liquor, and bangs his head to classic heavy metal. I’ve written over…oh, one hundred and fifty short stories, some children’s books, a novel, and the occasional non-fiction piece.

What is the title of your new book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?
Pocketful of Fear, a collection of flash stories. To sum it all up in thirty words or less: Scary, weird, shocking, coincidental, a compilation of horror and dark fiction for the rest of us. 

If you gave one of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?
Probably something with a lot of expletives in it. I used mobsters a lot in my stories, and they cuss worse than sailors. 

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?
I do, actually. It’s a standalone non-fiction encyclopedia on zombies: their origins, the genre, people important to the genre, movies, books – things like that. 

What made you start writing and did you go down the path of self-publishing or did you seek out a publisher?
Stephen King’s wonderful apocalyptic epic The Stand inspired me to write. I loved it so damn much, and I wanted to write my own version. After four years of trying to plagiarize him, I resigned myself to writing my own fiction. 

Is there an Author who has influenced you or one that you would really like to meet?
Dean Koontz. God, that man can maintain suspense! And his books are always surprising. They have so many twists and turns, I puke every time I read one. 

List 3 books you just recently read and would recommend?
The Stand- Stephen King
Dracula- Bram Stoker
H.P. Lovecraft: Works- H.P. Lovecraft. 

If your book was made into a TV series or Movie, what actors would you like to see playing your characters? 
Oh, I dunno. I’m not really the kind who keeps track of celebrities. Cary Grant is still big, right? 


Ok Now for some fun  ….

Sleep in or get up early? 
Depends. I like getting up early, but I hate being tired. 

Energy drinks or coffee?
Energy drinks, I guess. I usually drink Coke. 

Sweet or Savory?
Savory.  

Ebook or paperback?
Paperback. I’m an old-fashion type; I’m not too big on reading my books from a little gadget or gizmo. 

 One of your favorite quotes –
“When there’s no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.” From Dawn of the Dead, 1978, by George A. Romero. Ever since I started writing that book, I have zombies on the brain constantly.  

Lastly where can readers find you?
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/JosephRubas

2 comments:

  1. Cool interview, Rebecca. I was sold on Joseph when he listed horror, liquor and classic heavy metal. Thanks for sharing.

    -Jimmy
    http://jamesgarciajr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Jimmy I am so happy to hear you say that. Joseph is not only a talented writer but a really great guy also, I am lucky to know such wonderful people. :D

    ReplyDelete