Monday, 11 May 2015

Flash fiction piece

Quick military flash fiction that happened eighteen months prior to my flash fiction entry titled His Last Note which went into the Wattpad romance contest #1. http://www.wattpad.com/story/32855638-his-last-words

This is yet to have a title. 



Emma,

Firstly I want to apologize for taking so long to write babe, it has been non-stop here and every time I have a moment to write, I find myself lost for words. Over here is so different from back home. The heat is crazy! It feels like it’ll never end. Most nights I can see the stars, there are so many some nights that I almost forget where I am, at least until the gunfire starts or some alarm sounds. 

I’m sorry for rambling, it’s just so hard to think about things to write that wouldn’t sound far worse then they are. The guys loved the cookies you sent over and have been begging me to ask you to send another batch over. Also I loved your little extra special gift. It reminds me every night of how lucky I am to have such a beautiful wife. You, my dearest Emma, keep me fighting when I feel like giving up. 

I want to know how you are going? Is being on base alone as hard as some on the other wives tell their husbands… or am I to believe your last letter lol. I want you to be doing ok. Only six more months until I am home, babe. Less than that until leave…and baby, I can’t tell you how excited I am about that. 

Actually I was thinking about it and once this tour is over we should think about starting our family. Before you write back tell me that wasn’t in our plan, I know it isn’t. I know we are young but being here…it makes me think about you, and me and us, and how short life really is. We lost two guys yesterday. I didn’t know them but news travels fast around here. 

Anyway I need to go. I don’t want to go, baby, but I’ll be home soon. 

Love you forever
Marcus.


I flipped through the letters, selecting random ones to read as I contemplated the idea of going on a date. It had been eighteen months since Marcus had been shot. It still hurt. It hurt so bad that I didn’t want to live. How could I? 

I place the letter back into the box, the one that held my most precious memories of him. Our wedding photos, letters and his wedding ring, they were all in this one shoebox. Our time felt so short. I didn’t want to move one. I didn’t know how too. 

There was one letter, a letter one of his fellow troops had delivered to me months after his funeral. That’s how Daniel and I met. He had turned up on my doorstep, in his uniform and handed me the last letter Marcus had ever written me. Daniel had held me as I cried and stayed and tucked me into bed after I drank two bottles of wine. He had been my rock and now that he was out of the military he wanted to go on a date with me. 

I didn’t know what to do. I look at that letter, crumpled and sitting there, staring at me. I unfolded it carefully. 

To my Dearest Emma

If you are reading this, then I am so sorry, baby. I never wanted to leave you. Writing this is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I pray that this will never reach you. I can’t imagine a life without you and me. But, if for some, something has happened to me that I need you to know a few things.

Firstly you are and have always been the love of my life. 

That if I had any choice I would always choose a life that would see us growing old together. 

However if you are reading this and I am gone, then I apologize for ruining our plan once again. 

Remember that you will okay, that I want you to be okay and to find happiness. You are too beautiful to be alone. You have such a strength about you, that I know you find away to move on.

Lastly Emma, and this is important so believe me when you read these words!

Emma you will love again. Don’t give up on happiness. Please find someone for me. 

I have and forever will love you! 
Marcus 


I placed it back in to the box, feeling better even though it still hurt. A small part of me wondered if Marcus had some part in Daniel and I finding one another. 


For More Free stories please feel free to check out my Wattpad page. Hoping to publish a flash fiction collection with two other amazing Wattpad writers. 
http://www.wattpad.com/user/RebeccaNo...
http://www.wattpad.com/user/TheMusesTrio

No comments:

Post a Comment